Adult Sailing Program
Sailing Director Wally Cross invites you to learn to sail on our J22s. Choose a session that is convenient for you, and let our adult sailing director lead you to becoming comfortable and confident while maximizing your fun on the water. Our programs can prepare you for effortless pleasure sailing, or train you to actively crew on racing sailboats.
- Sailmaker since 1973 and have raced in over 1000 sail boat races.
- Sailed over 100,000 miles in the Ocean to Hawaii, Bermuda, Peru, England, Italy, Sweden, Finland, St. Petersburg Russia, Sydney Australia, Spain and France.
- Professional sailor since 1985.
- Sailed in over 80 Mackinac races between Port Huron and Chicago.
- On winning boats for 12 North American Championships and six Canada’s Cups events.
- Full time sailing director for the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club.
It is my goal to bring sailing back to Lake St Clair and Grosse Pointe Yacht Club. I am involved with High School sailing in the spring and fall. Junior sailing during the summer and Adult sailing all year long. We now will have a new J 70 One Design fleet on Lake St Clair with 20 boats. At the Yacht Club we will host the Mallory in High School sailing and the Junior Olympics for Junior Sailors in late July. Our summer regatta will be July 8 a Friday night follow by a summer party. Last will be the traditional Blue Nose on September 24.
Grosse Pointe Yacht Club is the finest club not only on the Great Lakes but in the world for the sailor. This fresh water lake is just seconds from any dock and all sailing can be viewed from our docks and club. It is my mission to make sailing entertaining while having sailing close to the dock for viewing. In 2017 we will have our own separate sailing building on the south east wall.
Click here for details on our 2017 Adult Sailing classes!
“GPYC Sailing Instructor Ron Sherry in action aboard the Equation.”
The purpose and concept of Yachtsmen's Fund as approved by the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club Board on September 29, 1994 is as follows:
To support a premier sailing program striving for Olympic class participation.
- Funding of special capital purchases or situations as approved by the Yachtsmen's Committee.
- Funding to support travel and expenses for regattas to provide maximum exposure for our sailors.
- Additional expenditures that will enhance Junior Sailing for the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club and/or the Grosse Pointe community through activities such as the Grosse Pointe High School Sailing Programs.